Our Lady of the Woods, established in 1975, serves the city of Woodhaven and the surrounding downriver communities of Brownstown, Trenton, Flat Rock, and beyond. Besides a rich heritage centered on our celebrations of weekend and weekday Masses, we attempt to live our faith through outreach to our parishioners and neighbors. Some of the programs and services that we provide are shown below. If you would like more information on any of the items listed,contact the parish office.
Parish Services and Outreach
- All Saints Soup Kitchen – Food donation/preparation, working, serving and cleaning.
- Applewood Nursing Home – Every Tuesday 10 am – Noon. Visit and help distribute Holy Communion. Help patients get to Mass or distribute Holy Communion in their room.
- ChristNet – Traveling Homeless shelter. Help with food, overnight chaperone, haircuts, entertainment, etc. We host ChristNet for one week starting the Sunday after Christmas.
- Coffee and Doughnuts – Pick up doughnuts and or bagels. Help set up at 8:30 am host after 9 am Mass and clean-up.
- Funeral Lunch Donor – Supply a side dish (salad, dessert, vegetable) on a rotating basis.
- Funeral Lunch Server – Help set up, serve and clean up at funeral luncheons, on a rotating basis.
- Heritage Dinners – Different ethnic groups celebrate their heritage bi-monthly, providing appropriate food and music.
- Homebound Visitation – Take the Holy Eucharist to the homebound and people in the hospital. Training provided.
- Hospitality Committee – Provide refreshments and help set up and clean-up for parish functions.
- Lenten Soup Suppers – Help provide soup on Tuesday after 6 pm Mass during Lent.
- Ministry of Prayer – Intercessory prayer in which we pray for intentions specified by the Pastor.
- Nurse for Blood Pressure Screening – Take blood pressure before and after Mass on the 2nd and 4th weekends of the month.
- Our Lady’s Catholic Christian Women Group – Parish women’s group. Meetings are 2nd Monday of the month at 7:30 pm. Open to all women of the parish.
- Prayer Groups – “Spirit of Love” prayer group meets weekly at 7 pm with music, prayer and Scripture, followed by a teaching.
- Right To Life – Support the Right To Life and Pro-Life issues through various activities during the year such as memorial candles in January, Mother’s Day roses in May and Life Chain in October.
- Rosary Makers – Meet the second Monday of each month at 1 pm in the Social Hall to make rosaries which are sent to missions around the world.
- St. Vincent de Paul Conference – Helps with the needs of those who are in need in Woodhaven and Brownstown. Help with “Bundle Day”, food drives, holiday dinners and giving tree at Christmas.
- Blood Drive Donor and Helper – We have two blood drives: February and July.
- Bulk Mailings – During the day, whenever a large volume of mail goes out.
- Bulletin Assembler – Put ‘inserts’ in the “The Branch” as needed.
- Church Housekeeper – Help keep the church clean and presentable. Usually requires an hour or two twice a month (days or evenings).
- CSA Committee – Help chairperson on weekends during the CSA Drive in the spring, on a rotating basis.
- Garden Angel – Adopts church flower garden for beautification.
- Grass Cutters – Help trim and cut grass around the buildings during the spring, summer and fall on a rotating basis.
- Library Assistant – Assist in maintaining parish library and cataloging new acquisitions.
- Widows’ Support Group – All denominations welcome. Meet first Wednesday of the month in the Social Hall.
- Altar Server (Youth) – Must be in the fourth grade or older. Services performed primarily on weekends.
- Altar Server (Adult) – Open to any Confirmed adult. Assist priest primarily during the week for funeral liturgies.
- Cantor – Soloist for Mass to sing psalms and other special musical events. Appointment by audition.
- Choir Member (Adult) – Open to any volunteer from high school on up. Rehearsals on Wednesday evening at 7 pm and a love for music is required. Reading music is not a requirement.
- Choir Member (Children) – Open to any volunteer from 5 years old to 8th grade. Children sing at selected Masses.
- Choir Member (Spanish) – Sing during bilingual liturgies. Rehearsals announced. Fluent Spanish is not required.
- Instrumental Ensemble – Students are invited to join us and help provide an added dimension to our music liturgies. Moderate level of proficiency required.
- Resurrection Choir – Sing at funerals.
- Church Decorating / Take Down Decorations – Help decorate during Christmas and Easter. Take down after Christmas and Easter.
- Eucharistic Adoration – Volunteer one hour of prayer a week in the Adoration Chapel in the Christian Growth Center.
- Eucharistic Minister – Assist in distribution of Holy Communion at the weekend liturgies. Must be baptized, confirmed and a participating member. Requested to serve twice each month.
- Infant Baptism Preparation – Christian Parenting – Meet with parents of infants to be baptized and talk about family Christian values (3 – 4 times per year).
- Lector / Commentator – Must be a confirmed and practicing Catholic with good speaking skills.
- Liturgical Laundry / Altar Server Robes – Wash towels and altar linens. Once a week rotating with 2 or 3 other families.
- Sacristan for Weekend Masses – Proper preparation and care of vessels before and after Mass.
- Sacristan for Daily Mass – Set up and clean up altar and offertory on weekdays.
- Sewing and Mending – For liturgical garments.
- Usher’s Club – Greet and seat parishioners at Mass. Take collection during Mass and assist anyone who needs help. Meetings once a month. Help with picnic and special requests of Pastor.
- Vocations Committee – To foster vocations to the priesthood and religious life.
- Wedding Rehearsal Team – Coordinates wedding rehearsal and wedding day with couple, on a rotating basis. Training involved.
- Welcoming Committee – Calls and welcomes newly registered parishioners.
- Catechist (Religious Formation Teacher) – Share your faith with the children of the parish.
- Children’s Liturgy of the Word – During the first part of the 9 am Mass on Sunday..
- Vacation Bible School – week during the summer.