Directives for Resumption of Public Mass
DIRECTIVES FOR RESUMPTION OF PUBLIC MASSES
- At the discretion of the pastor, a parish in the Archdiocese of Detroit is permitted to resume public Masses on Tuesday, May 19, 2020 under the conditions below.
- All parishes in the Archdiocese of Detroit will resume public Mass by Friday, May 29, 2020 under the same conditions.
- Necessary conditions for the resumption of public Masses:
- Face-coverings/masks are to be worn by the faithful in and around the church.
- Cleaning and sanitizing of church facilities using proper techniques before or after Masses.
- Physical distancing is practiced in the church and on the church property.
- Parish churches are not to exceed 25% of total capacity for the church.
- This limit should allow people to remain at least six feet apart.
- Depending on church layout, this number may have to be less than 25% of the total capacity.
- An additional location on the church property (e.g. social hall, parking lot) may be used as an “overflow” for additional people desiring to attend public Mass.
- This should not exceed the same 25% capacity for the space.
- Both indoor and outdoor Masses require adherence to strict physical distancing guidelines.
- Funerals, Weddings, and Baptisms no longer require individual permission and may resume along the same timeline and under the same conditions.
- All non-liturgical gatherings should continue to be suspended. At the pastor’s discretion, exceptions may be made if attendees observe strict health and safety guidelines and the gathering does not exceed 10 persons at any one time.
- All the faithful in the Archdiocese of Detroit are dispensed from their Sunday obligation to attend Mass through Sunday, September 6, 2020.